Phone (404) 414-6539. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, website dinets.info. US Citizen.
2011 Ph.D (Biology), University of Miami, USA. Advisor Steven Green.
Dissertation The role of habitat in crocodilian communication. Abstract, PDF.
1991 M.Sc. (Biological Engineering), Moscow State Technical University, Russia. This was a 5-year program with no separate B.Sc. degree. Thesis New methods of acoustical studies on Orthoptera.
2011-present. Research Assistant Professor, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Dept. of Psychology.
Studies of behavioral ecology and evolution of complex behavior.
2012-2013 - Research Associate, Louisiana State University, School of Renewable Natural Resources.
Research on crane behavior and ecology; work on a whooping crane reintroduction project, including remote tracking, landowner education, public outreach; herpetological surveys.
2004-2005 - Research Technician, University of New Mexico, Department
Research on small mammal ecology and zoonotic diseases (hantaviruses, plague, bartonella); maintaining databases, developing research protocols, training field technicians.
2003-2004 - Research Assistant, University of Colorado, Boulder, Department of Evolutionary Biology and Ecology.
Field research on small mammals, zoonotic diseases (mostly plague), and grassland ecosystems.
1994-2003 - Senior Expert, Actual Biology Fund, Moscow, Russia.
Research on endangered species and their captive breeding, zoological surveys, scientific editing, consulting government agencies and assisting environmental law enforcement.
1991-1992 - Researcher, Institute of Global Climate and Ecology, Moscow, Russia.
Monitoring the ecological status of freshwater ecosystems.
2005-2011 -University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida.
Teaching General Biology Lab and Evolution & Biodiversity Lab.
2010, 2012-2014 Moscow School for Gifted Children, Russia.
Teaching workshops on behavioral ecology, field research methods and other subjects.
1994-2003 - Actual Biology Fund, Moscow, Russia
Developing study programs for nature reserve employees and extracurricular school biology classes.
1995 - Parque Nacional Manu, Cuzco Province, Peru
Teaching ecology, zoology and research techniques to park rangers and volunteers.
1989-1990 - Moscow State University, Moscow, Russia.
Teaching advanced biology to pre-University students in Junior Biologist Club; leading field trips.
Editorial board member: Behavior, Journal of Animal Sentience, Psychology & Cognitive Science, Scientific Reports.
Reviewing for journals: African Journal of Ecology, Integrative Zoology, Israel Journal of Ecology and Evolution, Journal of Mammalogy, Mammalia, Small Carnivore Conservation, Zoology.
Reviewing grant applications for Animal Behavior Society and National Geographic Society.
Consulting: BBC, CBC, CNN, Discovery Channel, National Geographic TV Channel.
Expert support: Expert witness at trials of illegal wildlife traders in Russia (1996) and Sikkim (1999).
Mentoring: currently co-mentoring Ph.D. students in Australia and Israel.
SELECTED VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE
2011 Volunteer Consultant, WWF-Vietnam.
Wildlife surveys in the newly created Saola Nature Reserve.
2007 Expedition Leader, Danish Ornithological Society.
Organizing and leading an ornithological expedition to Chukchi Peninsula, Siberia.
2002-2003 Volunteer Assistant, San Francisco Bay Bird Observatory,
Research on coastal birds and vegetation, non-lethal predator control, and epizootics prevention.
2001-2002 Assistant, Monterey Bay Whalewatch, California.
Marine mammal research, mostly on killer whales.
1995-1996 Researcher, Parque Nacional Manu, Peru.
Wildlife research, law enforcement, consulting, liaison services.
1992-1994 Volunteer Biologist, Hai Bar Nature Reserve,
Field research of rare ungulates, carnivores and raptors in Negev Desert; reintroduction programs.
1987-1988 Undergraduate Research Assistant, Ussuri Nature Reserve,
Studies on reptile distribution and ecology, faunal composition and endangered species biology.
Behavioral evolution (particularly of complex behavior) and ecology; applications of behavioral ecology to conservation; vertebrate ethology, zoology and zoogeography; tropical biology; developing citizen science platforms as a support base for research and conservation programs.
GRANTS AND AWARDS
2013 Copeia’s Best Paper by Young Scholar, Herpetology award (for Long-distance signaling in Crocodylia).
2013 Publishers Weekly Gold Star for books on science (for Dragon Songs).
2008 Tropical Biology fellowship, University of Miami.
2007 Sigma Xi research grant.
Doody JS, Burghardt GM, Dinets V. Reptile Social Behavior. In press, John Hopkins University Press.
Dinets, V. Wildlife Spectacles of North America. In press, Timber Press.
2015 Dinets V. Peterson Guide to Finding Mammals in North America. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. More info.
2013 Dinets V. Dragon Songs: Love and Adventure among Crocodiles, Alligators and Other Dinosaur Relations. Arcade, New York, 318 pp. More info
2012 Dinets V. Wild Africa. BHV, Saint Petersburg (in Russian), 320 pp.
2004 Newell JA (ed.), Dinets V, Krechmar M, Mihailov A, Shibnev Yu. Russian Far East - Environmental Handbook. Friends of Earth - Japan, 468 pp.
1998 Dinets V, Rotshild E. Domestic Animals. ABF, Moscow (in Russian), 512 pp.
1996 Dinets V, Rotshild E. Mammals of Russia. ABF, Moscow (in Russian), 352 pp.
1995 Beme A, Dinets V, Flint V, Cherenkov A. Birds of Russia. ABF, Moscow (in Russian). 432 pp.
1991 Abakumov V. (ed.), Dinets V, Novikova E, Tarasov A. Current Status of Freshwater Ecosystems of the USSR. VNIIGMI-MZO, Moscow-St. Petersburg (in Russian). 326 pp.
49. 2016. Dinets V. Cave roosting by spectral bat (Vampyrum spectrum). In publ., Mammalian Biology.
48. 2016. Dinets V. Spontaneous development of hunting-like behavior in juvenile humans: a case study. In publ., Humanimalia.
47. 2016. Dinets V, Eligulashvili B. Striped hyenas in gray wolf packs: cooperation, commensalism or singular aberration? Zoology in the Middle East 62:85-87. PDF
46. 2016 Dinets V. Predation on amphibians and reptiles by reintroduced whooping cranes (Grus americana) in Louisiana. American Midland Naturalist 175:135-138. Abstract PDF
45. 2016 Dinets V. No cortex no cry (an invited commentary on Why fish do not feel pain by Brian Key). Animal Sentience 1:013. Abstract PDF
44. 2015 Dinets V. Can interrupting cultural transmission be beneficial? The Condor 117:624-628. Abstract PDF
43. 2015 Dinets V, Samaš P, Croston R, Grim T, Hauber ME. Predicting the responses of native songbirds to trans-oceanic invasions by brood parasites. Journal of Field Ornithology 86:244-251. Abstract PDF
42. 2015 Dinets V. Play behavior in crocodilians. Animal Behavior & Cognition 2:49-55. Abstract PDF
41. 2015 Dinets, V. The Canis tangle: a systematics overview with recommendations on taxonomy. Vavilov Journal of Genetics and Breeding 19:286-291. PDF
40. 2015 Dinets V. Apparent coordination and collaboration in cooperatively hunting crocodilians. Ethology Ecology and Evolution 27:244-250. PDF
39. 2015 Dinets V, Brueggen J, Brueggen J. Crocodilians use tools for hunting. Ethology Ecology and Evolution 27:74-78. Abstract PDF
38. 2015 Dinets V, de Beenhower M, Hall J. Extralimital records of pallid and Rueppell’s foxes from Afar Desert of Ethiopia. Canid Biology & Conservation 18:30-32. PDF
37. 2015 Dinets V. Trogloxeny in Caucasian parsley frog, Pelodytes caucasicus. Herpetological Review 133:31-32. PDF
36. 2014 Burghardt GM, Dinets V & Murphy JB. Highly repetitive object play in a cichlid fish (Tropheus duboisi). Ethology 121:38-44. Abstract PDF
35. 2014 Dinets V. Why avian systematics are no longer scientific. South Dakota Bird Notes 66:26-29. PDF
34. 2013 Dinets V, Britton A, Shirley MH. Climbing behavior in extant crocodilians. Herpetology Notes 7: 3-7. PDF
33. 2013 Dinets V. Underwater sound locating ability in the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis). Journal of Herpetology 47: 521-523. Abstract PDF
32. 2013 Dinets V. Long-distance signaling in extant crocodilians. Copeia 2013: 517-526. Abstract PDF
31. 2013 Dinets, V. Do individual crocodilians adjust their signaling to habitat structure? Ethology Ecology & Evolution 25: 174-184. Abstract PDF
30. 2013 Dinets V. Crane dances as play behavior. Ibis 155: 424-425. PDF
29. 2013 Doody JS, Burghardt GM, Dinets V. Breaking the Social-Nonsocial Dichotomy: A Role for Reptiles in Vertebrate Social Behaviour Research? Ethology 118: 1-9. Abstract PDF
28. 2012 Dinets V. Notes on Cozumel Raccoon (Procyon pygmaeus) and Tres Marias Raccoon (P. insularis). Small Carnivore Conservation 47: 14-16. PDF
27. 2012 Dinets V. Breeding Fork-tailed Swifts in Northeastern Vietnam. Forktail 28: 155-156.
26. 2012 Dinets V. Blue-billed Malimbe Malimbus nitens associating with crocodiles outside the breeding season. Malimbus 2012: 39-41. PDF
25. 2011 Dinets V. Effects of aquatic habitat continuity on signal composition in crocodilians. Animal Behavior 82: 191-201. Abstract, PDF
24. 2011 Dinets V. Observations of woolly flying squirrel (Eupetaurus cinereus) in Nanga Parbat Range of northern Pakistan. Mammalia 75: 277-280. Abstract, PDF
23. 2011 Dinets V. First sighting of the Giant genet (Genetta victoriae) in Rwanda. Small Carnivore Conservation 44: 25-26. PDF
22. 2011 Dinets V. On terrestrial hunting in Crocodilia. Herpetological Bulletin 114: 15-18. Abstract, PDF
21. 2011 Dinets V. Eastern screech-owl catches fish by wading. The Wilson Journal of Ornithology 123: 846-847.
20. 2011 Dinets V. Melanosuchus niger (black caiman) signaling behavior. Herpetological Review 42: 424.
19. 2011 Dinets V. Crocodylus palustris (mugger crocodile) signaling behavior. Herpetological Review 42: 424.18. 2011 Dinets V. Crocodylus rhombifer (Cuban crocodile) courtship behavior. Herpetological Review 42: 232.
17. 2010 Dinets V. Observation of Sumatran striped rabbit (Nesolagus nescheri) in the wild. Mammalia 74: 1. Link
16. 2010 Dinets V. Nocturnal behavior of the American alligator (Alligator mississippiensis) in the wild during the mating season. Herpetological Bulletin 111: 4-11. Abstract, PDF
15. 2005 Dinets V. & P. Polechla Jr. First documentation of melanism in a jaguar from Northern Mexico. IUCN/SSC Cat News 42: 18. Text
14. 2004 Dinets V. Information on Tres Marias Islands Raccoon (Procyon insularis), with the description of tracks. Small Carnivore Conservation 30: 10-11.
13. 2004 Dinets V. The first record of Corvus cryptoleucos from Baja California. Huitzil 5(1): 3-4 (in English and Spanish). PDF
12. 2003 Dinets V. First Photo of a Bay Cat in the Wild. IUCN/SSC Cat News 38: 5.
11. 2003 Dinets V. Records of small carnivores from Mount Kinabalu, Sabah, Borneo. Small Carnivore Conservation 28: 9.
10. 2001 Dinets V. Ornithological records from Luzon during January-February 2001, including a description of the voice of the Brown-banded Rail, Lewinia mirificus. Oriental Bird Club Bull. 34: 35-41.
9. 2001 Dinets V. Winter ecology of Willow Ptarmigan Lagopus lagopus and Rock Ptarmigan L. mutus at the northern limit of their range. Ornitologia 29: 326-327 (in Russian with English summary).
8. 2001 Dinets V. Breeding of Marbled Murrelet (Brachyramphus marmoratus) on the coast of the Sakhalin Gulf. Ornitologia 29: 289 (in Russian with English summary).
7. 2001 Dinets V. Brown Dipper Cinclus pallasi wintering in Suntar-Hayata Mountains of Yakutia. Ornitologia 29: 326 (in Russian with English summary).
6. 1998 Dinets V. Some information on rare mammals of South America. Lutreola 8: 32-33.
5. 1996 Dinets V. Breeding population of Intermediate Egret Egretta intermedia on Kuril Islands. Ornitologia 25: 240-241 (in Russian with English summary).
4. 1995 Dinets V. Surviving sites of European Mink Mustela lutreola in Moscow region. Lutreola 6: 24-34.
3. 1992 Dinets V. Nesting of Aleutian Tern Sterna aleutica on Chukchi Peninsula. In: Colonial Seabirds of the USSR, Nauka, Moscow (in Russian with English summary), pp. 32-34.
2. 1992 Dinets V. Nesting of the spectacled guillemot on Chukchi Peninsula. In: Studies of Marine Birds in the USSR, Institute of Biological Problems of the North, Magadan, Russia, pp. 13-16.
1. 1991 Dinets V. First record of Oriental Nightjar Caprimulgus indicus on Kamchatka. In: Publications of the 1st Ornithological Conference, 1991. Nauka i Technika, Minsk (in Russian with English summary), pp. 12-13.
5. Dinets V, Hall J, Helgen K. Amateur mammal-watching: a new source of support for mammalian conservation. In rev., Conservation and Society.
4. Dinets V, Sanchez M. Extreme diving: Brown Dippers overwintering at -65°C in northeastern Siberia. In rev., Journal of Field Ornithology.
3. Dinets V, Kolenov S. An undescribed wood-warbler (Parulidae) in the Sierra Maestra, Cuba. In rev., Journal of Caribbean Ornithology.
2. Dinets V. Use of forested habitats by cranes. In rev., Journal of Field Ornithology.
1. Dinets V. Is Bukhara myotis extinct? In rev., Acta Chiropterologica.
SELECTED POPULAR PUBLICATIONS
2014 Dinets, V. The unknown crocodiles. The Conservation.
2013 Dinets V. Search for saola. Around the World 2856: 17-22 (in Russian).
2011 Dinets V. The grasshopper mice (Onychomys). Mitteilungen der Bundesarbeitgruppe (BAG) Kleinsauger 11: 8-11.
2001 Dinets V. Shadows around a lamp: how Russia became a hub of illegal trade in tropical wildlife. Arguments and Facts 1032:4-5. (in Russian).
1998 Dinets V. Storm chasing in Asia. Storm Track 21: 6-7.
1995 Dinets V. Kuril Islands. Himia i Zhizn 215: 42-54. Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow (in Russian).
SELECTED TALKS AND PRESENTATIONS
2016 American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists Conference (invited; also co-chairing a symposium); Learning From the Wild seminar (Animal Concepts, Netherlands); US Fish & Wildlife Service (a webinar); Animal Play workshop (Chicago Zoological Society, invited)
2015 U. of California, Davis; American Behavior Society Conference (with P. Samaš, R. Croston, T. Grim, M. Hauber); City University of New York (invited);
2014 University of California, Davis (invited); American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists Conference; IUCN Crocodile Specialist Group Conference; The Science of Animal Thinking and Emotion Conference (invited); American Crane Workshop (with S. Zimorski, T. Perkins & S. King). Ask Me Anything session on Reddit Science.
2013 Harvard University (invited); Animal Behavioral Society Conference.
2012 Louisiana State University; Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
2011 University of Tennessee, Knoxville (invited); Animal Behavior Conference, Indiana University; Herpetology Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville.
2004 Islamic University of Peshawar, Pakistan (invited).
1998 University of California, Berkeley (invited).
Bird Banding and Mistnetting (Louisiana State University), 2012.
Large Birds Handling and Husbandry (Patuxent National Research Refuge), 2012.
Motorboat Operating and Boating Safety (USGS), 2012.
ATV Driving (ATV Safety Institute), 2012.
Effective Teaching (University of Miami), 2007.
Very Large Animals Handling and Care (Nairobi National Park, Kenya), 2005.
Field Anesthesia of Rodents Workshop (University of New Mexico), 2004.
Animal Handling; Biohazardous Materials Handling (University of Colorado), 2003.
First Aid and CPR 1998, Wilderness First Aid (Red Cross), 2012.
SCUBA Diving Open Water (NAUI), 1997; Advanced (PADI), 2008.
Professional Snake Handling (Karakala Serpentarium, Turkmenistan), 1983
Professional knowledge of GIS, graphic software and nature photography. Plant and animal photos have been featured in Nature journal and National Geographic magazine.
American Ornithological Union, American Society of Mammalogists, American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, Animal Behavior Society, Sigma Xi.
English - fluent, Russian - native, Spanish - spoken, Ukrainian - spoken, French in progress.